Steckler's Star Studded Stock Picks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by Lyehopper View Post
    Roanoke was known as "Big Lick".... Hey Rob.... In Bedford County there's an area called "Body Camp".... Do you know about that?
    Caustic Soda, yeah the name "Big Lick" came from a huge salt lick that used to draw all the wildlife to the area before civilization moved in. I've read that the lick was about where the downtown section of Campbell Ave. is. I've never heard of Body Camp. Sounds like a nudist colony.

    Originally posted by Tatnic View Post
    So Rob, where in God's country are you?
    I've lived in Roanoke since 1991, would have been born here if my dad's job didn't move him out in the early 50s. I've got very deep family roots in Virginia. I love it here.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tatnic
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Rob View Post
    Just guessing here ... was it Eggleston Flats?

    Whitethorn was the name I was trying to rememeber. So Rob, where in God's country are you? My wife and I were remembering a trip to Devon and how beautiful it was with all the sheep pastures stretching way up into the wooded hills. I told her that the one area in the US that reminds me of Devon is Virginia and how it can just leave you speechless. I don't miss the hot summers and high humidity but I do miss the mountains and valleys.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tatnic
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Rob View Post
    Just guessing here ... was it Eggleston Flats? That's one of the few places I know of in that general area, because it's where Adam Harmon found Mary Draper Ingles almost dead after she escaped from the Shawnee in 1755 and walked all the way home from Kentucky, near Ohio. I've been down there, and it looks like a beautiful, peaceful place.

    Blacksburg used to be known as "Draper's Meadow" in the old days.
    No it wasn't quite that far downriver...I was only a few miles south of Price's Forks. I haven't been back to that neck of the woods in a long time. I guessing that many of the farms have been subdivided by now. It was at the time very beautiful country, maybe it still is!

    Leave a comment:


  • Lyehopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob View Post
    Just guessing here ... was it Eggleston Flats? That's one of the few places I know of in that general area, because it's where Adam Harmon found Mary Draper Ingles almost dead after she escaped from the Shawnee in 1755 and walked all the way home from Kentucky, near Ohio. I've been down there, and it looks like a beautiful, peaceful place.

    Blacksburg used to be known as "Draper's Meadow" in the old days.
    Roanoke was known as "Big Lick"....

    Hey Rob.... In Bedford County there's an area called "Body Camp".... Do you know about that?

    Leave a comment:


  • Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by Tatnic View Post
    . . . along the New River south of Blacksburg (near the mouth of Tom's Creek) . . . I can['t] remember what the area was called . . .
    Just guessing here ... was it Eggleston Flats? That's one of the few places I know of in that general area, because it's where Adam Harmon found Mary Draper Ingles almost dead after she escaped from the Shawnee in 1755 and walked all the way home from Kentucky, near Ohio. I've been down there, and it looks like a beautiful, peaceful place.

    Blacksburg used to be known as "Draper's Meadow" in the old days.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tatnic
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Lyehopper View Post
    Thanks.... But in defense of cattlemen.....SsSsSssssss!

    Tatnic.... I'm from NC originally but I've been in SW VA since "84" so I've lived here longer than I lived there, thus I claim to be a Virginian now. (I absolutely love it here btw).... I was always an NC State Wolfpack fan. "State" is an Ag school much like VA Tech so my adopted favorite school is VA Tech, but I root for the Pack every chance I get. As for college? I attended UHN.... The University of Hard Knocks.LOL!
    lol...you ranchers are the smart ones. Ever since I was a youngun I've wanted to live on a farm. The closest I came was when I lived on a hog farm along the New River south of Blacksburg (near the mouth of Tom's Creek)...damned if I can remember what the area was called but it'll come to me eventually. The guy that owned the farm (also raised quite a few beef critters) was a coach at Tech, but I can't recall his name either.

    Btw...Frank Beemer was my baseball coach in Radford (he coached baseball and football there before going to Tech) and he was one of the most likeable and well-respected guys you'd ever run into. I not surprised to see him doing so well at Tech.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lyehopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Tatnic View Post
    Good point Lye... You're pretty damn smart for a rancher...were you a Hokie?
    Thanks.... But in defense of cattlemen.....SsSsSssssss!

    Tatnic.... I'm from NC originally but I've been in SW VA since "84" so I've lived here longer than I lived there, thus I claim to be a Virginian now. (I absolutely love it here btw).... I was always an NC State Wolfpack fan. "State" is an Ag school much like VA Tech so my adopted favorite school is VA Tech, but I root for the Pack every chance I get. As for college? I attended UHN.... The University of Hard Knocks.LOL!

    Leave a comment:


  • Tatnic
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Lyehopper View Post
    Dave always has "an opinion" and many times it's critical. I personally don't mind critical posts and I read Dave's thread (and everyone elses for that matter). But in "their" defense the "members" who questioned Dave, still seem to be here. I don't think they are "offended".... Truth be known, maybe Dave is a bit "thin-skinned"....
    Good point Lye... You're pretty damn smart for a rancher...were you a Hokie?

    Leave a comment:


  • RL
    replied
    Maybe Dave Isn't Dave

    Leave a comment:


  • Lyehopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Tatnic View Post
    I would suggest that if the offended posters are too thin-skinned to take some blunt criticism from Dave or anyone else, that they may not be able to handle the extreme rudeness that the market tends to offer on a regular basis. Just my thoughts.
    Dave always has "an opinion" and many times it's critical. I personally don't mind critical posts and I read Dave's thread (and everyone elses for that matter). But in "their" defense the "members" who questioned Dave, still seem to be here. I don't think they are "offended".... Truth be known, maybe Dave is a bit "thin-skinned"....

    Leave a comment:


  • mrmarket
    replied
    Originally posted by Tatnic View Post
    Dave was most likely put off by the incessant demands that he provide indepth, excruciating details about the stocks he likes. I thought it was pretty obvious that he's a technical trader and that one does not need 2 dozen reasons to initiate a trade based on technicals? I apologize if I'm oversimplifying, but in fairness to Dave he explained why he couldn't provide a thesis for each stock pick. Granted he offended a few posters in the process but that's Dave. I would suggest that if the offended posters are too thin-skinned to take some blunt criticism from Dave or anyone else, that they may not be able to handle the extreme rudeness that the market tends to offer on a regular basis. Just my thoughts.
    I'll miss him. He is an excellent trader.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tatnic
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by mrmarket View Post
    where is Dave?

    Dave was most likely put off by the incessant demands that he provide indepth, excruciating details about the stocks he likes. I thought it was pretty obvious that he's a technical trader and that one does not need 2 dozen reasons to initiate a trade based on technicals? I apologize if I'm oversimplifying, but in fairness to Dave he explained why he couldn't provide a thesis for each stock pick. Granted he offended a few posters in the process but that's Dave. I would suggest that if the offended posters are too thin-skinned to take some blunt criticism from Dave or anyone else, that they may not be able to handle the extreme rudeness that the market tends to offer on a regular basis. Just my thoughts.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lyehopper
    replied
    Originally posted by mrmarket View Post
    where is Dave?
    He said he was moving to Texas.... Maybe he got lost, it's a pretty big place I'm told.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrmarket
    replied
    actually he might be in Cardinal land right now pulling for the birds against the mets.

    Leave a comment:


  • IIC
    replied
    Originally posted by skiracer View Post
    And while we're at it, "where is Godot"? Neither one of them has posted in a while.
    Refresh my memory...Who is Godot???...I did a search and I can't find any Godot

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X